熱門文章

2010年6月5日 星期六

遠行

當我們趕到醫院時,他好像已沒有了意識,靜靜地躺在床上,沒有早幾天的掙扎和不安。他的嘴巴半張,氧氣喉纏著他的手和背,但瘦弱的身軀還是努力地一下一下呼吸著。我隔著薄氈撫摸他的手,還是熱的。我看著他的臉,我發現他的臉永遠向著窗戶那邊。

人愈來愈多,圍著床邊一圈又一圈。病房的人進進出出,探病的探病,派飯的派飯,靜止不動的,就只有他和我們的世界。我們陪著他進入彌留狀態,陪著他面對生命的倒數,他的呼吸由急速逐漸緩慢、停頓……那一刻,我才感受到什麼叫做生死相隔。死亡,就在我面前呈現,雖然慢慢僵硬,卻是安詳的。

之後,我們幾個表姊妹在他床邊說起舊事,「你記得嗎?他以前養的狗叫什麼名字?……」,「他還養過龍貓呢,可惜不到兩天,牠就不小心掉進廁所淹死了!」,「還有貓,他養貓的……」我們像把自己的回憶拿出來拼圖,回憶的都是我們的童年,那麼美好的,而他就在那裡聽著。

離開醫院後,我們返回他家裡商討後事,無意中找到了他的舊相簿,裡面有母親的婚照,有表妹彌月酒的相片,有他年輕時做海員的照片,有25年前的家書……我們沒有太大傷感,只在說點舊事,忘記了早上的痛苦,這是一個寧靜的下午。

翻著相簿,才知道他年輕時到過很多地方,認識過很多人,人生數十年也不是枉然。今天天氣很好,有陽光,有微風,我們以為他只是去了一個漫長的遠行。

2 則留言:

匿名 提到...

To me it's different. When someone is taking a long trip, you'll probably get to hear from him/her periodically and you know you'll see him/her one day. With passing away, you are just going by your memory. You want to hang on to the memory but it'll gradually fade away with time. My sister passed away a year ago and I still don't know how to cope with it. It's sad! - Alex

匿名 提到...

I completely understand how it feels. It was like someone had completely vanished in tihs world and you cannot call him or meet him ever again. My uncle's number is the 1st one on my mobile phone book list, and everyone I open my phonebook I feel really strange, I have some dead person's number, and what would happen if I call him now? However, i do feel life is a journey, and it doesnt stop when one dies, it just goes on and on and on....