熱門文章

2009年10月29日 星期四

On passion

"But you know what, I will tell you something... Passion is way overrated. Eventually, it kind of... burns out, but hopefully, what you're left with is trust, and security, and... well, in the case of my ex-wife, lesbianism."

- Ross Geller, "Friends".

7 則留言:

匿名 提到...

You’re quoting Ross Geller?

Let me recall, Ross had a burning desire for Rachel since high school but never had the guts to express his feeling. His first marriage ended with a divorce because his ex wife, Carol, turn lesbian. Then he went on and got hooked up with Emily, the British woman, who fell in love with him and willing to marry him but, at the altar, Ross called out Rachel's name instead. Finally, he revealed his love for Rachel in an indirect sort of way and then left for a trip. Instead of coming home and approach Rachel like a man, he came home with another woman in his arm. (I think the Asian chick’s name was Julie or Judy or somethin’ like that.) Then he dropped the Asian girl for Rachel again and got her pregnant! If my memory serves me right, they got married as well!

Ross, the paleontologist, had three unsuccessful marriages and never really learned to be honest with his own feelings. Also, he was very insecure about himself. Maybe, just maybe, his only passion is for dinosaurs – something already DEAD. That's why passion, to Ross, is overrated!

Just my 2 cents worth!

– Alex TX

匿名 提到...

Haha, well said! Yes this was exactly how Ross felt about Rachel and the development of their love story ( though ... it seems to me it looks like some summary of plots appear at the back of the DVD box :P)

I love Ross, in fact I love everyone in Friends. Have never seen a sitcom where everyone has so much characters, and all of them are top notched actor/actress. They are just 6 in 1.

This was the scene when Ross told Rachel that she would find her real love some day. I think this is very true. Passion is way overrated, and that's probably one of the reasons why we have high divorce rates nowadays. The question is, what is left when passion burns out?

匿名 提到...

That's just it. You don't let it burn out. Re-ignite it if necessary. To me, once the passion is gone long enough, the rest will follow. There has to be passion, not only in relationship but with work, friendship and everything else.
- Alex Tx

匿名 提到...

You don't let it burn out. Re-ignite it if necessary. Easier said than done. In retrospect, I might have re-ignited my passion for one or two things successfully in the past 26 years....

Anyway Alex, where do you live now? What are you doing? in terms of job? or are you a student?

匿名 提到...

Sorry for taking such a long time to reply. I just got back from a conference in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Here's a little tidbit about myself. I was born in HK and spent most of my life here in the States, specifically Houston, Texas.

I'm a pharmacist by training and working for a healthcare provider organization. Yes, I am also a graduate student and, if everything falls into place, I will be graduating May of next year.

I've been happily married to a lovely lady for a little over three years and, I thnk, she is a few years older than you. We both love Chinese culture and travelling. - Alex TX

匿名 提到...

Woho! I have a pharmacist reading my blog abroad! Hey I know some other readers are from Houston too... s Trinette here?!

Alex do you have a blog?

匿名 提到...

No, I sure don't. My writing skill is nothing compare to 空中飛人's and yours. - Alex TX